Birthday Boy

Our Sam is 5 today.  It is hard to believe.  I used to love when Ava and Sam were so little and people would ask me how old they were and I could answer, "They are 1 and 2."  It made me feel like I should get an award or something.  Then I blinked and they are 5 and 6.  What??!!

Where do I begin about Sam?  He is our funny child.  You never know what is going to come out of that mouth.  He makes me laugh all day!  He is sensitive.  He is one of those kids that will take a while to get to know you.  But once you are in, you are in.  He will be loyal forever.

Sam is a rule follower.  You have to watch what you tell him because whatever you say is the law.  He will remember.  He brings new meaning to the word stubborn.  He really didn't have a chance with James and me as parents, but oh my goodness he is stubborn.

He has the best laugh, and he laughs a lot.  He loves his daddy.  He and Jack are becoming best buddies.  And he really wants to be Ava's protector.  The other day he told her he would stop all those boys from chasing her on the playground.  She said, "Uh Sam you don't have to do that - I really like it." - ha!

We are so blessed by Sam and count ourselves as the luckiest parents to get to love on him!

We are actually going through a little something with Sam.  He is not one to adjust to new situations real easily.  So, we started him at a new preschool which is the same place where he will go to kindergarten next year.  We thought it would be easier to transition him this year instead of next.  Well, he is having a HARD time.  He starts crying the night before he has to go and is crying when I drop him off.  Not actually crying but tearing up, which is worse to me.  It is so hard to watch.  We know he will make friends and be OK, but it is so hard to explain that to a five year old.

I will continue to pray for and love on him.  While Sam was at school today I was reading about a zillion books to Jack and he brought me Oh the Places You'll Go to read.  It is funny how when you are struggling with something sometimes an answer or a bit of encouragement will just pop up in unexpected places.  

As I was reading this to Jack, I felt like I was meant to read this today.

"But on you will go though the weather be foul.
On you will go though your enemies prowl.
On you will go though the Hakken-Kraks howl.
Onward up many a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.......

On and on you will hike.
And I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are....

Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So get on your way!

Sam - you are strong, funny, kind, loyal - really all the things that people love in friends.  Growing up is like climbing that mountain. I have no doubts that you are going to get to the top of any mountain you want and make us proud doing it.

I love you buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment